Monday, March 2, 2009

Monte Cristo Sandwiches from Disneyland


Disneyland's Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Served at the Blue Bayou and Cafe Orleans inside Disneyland

My grandma C. introduced me to these sandwiches. Oh man... they are so good. When she found a restaurant in Phoenix that also made them, she would arrange to take me on occasion. I remember the day she called me (I was living in Utah at the time) to tell me that the restaurant was closing. She suggested we meet at Disneyland to share a sandwich. In high school I had a boyfriend that my grandparents actually quite liked (that is speaking ONLY to my taste in guys...) and one time I was staying at their house when he picked me up for a date. My grandpa slipped him a twenty-dollar bill and said... "if you are hoping for a good-night kiss... take her to The Chimney and order for her. Order the Monte Cristo Sandwich." How funny is that?

I've only attempted this recipe once... and I did not make the sauce or compote... instead I served it with Knotts Berry Farm Mixed Jelly!

note: there is nothing healthy or diet friendly about this recipe... NOTHING

Recipe from RecipeZaar. Click here.


CURRANT JELLY SAUCE
12 ounces red currant jelly
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon half-and-half


FRUIT COMPOTE
1 (12 ounce) jar red currant jelly
1 (15 ounce) can peaches


BATTER
2/3 cup water
1 small egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder


SANDWICHES
8 slices white bread
4 slices roasted cooked turkey (1 ounce each sandwich)
4 slices Swiss cheese (1 ounce each sandwich)
4 slices smoked ham (1 ounce each sandwich)
vegetable oil, for frying


GARNISH
confectioners' sugar, for dusting
fruit, compote, currant jelly sauce


Directions


1 CURRANT JELLY SAUCE: Combine jelly, water and half and half in blender and mix until smooth. Makes about 3/4 cup.


2 FRUIT COMPOTE: Combine your favorite fresh and canned fruits and chill well. Yield is about 1/2 cup per person.


3 BATTER: Place water, egg, salt, and pepper in a bowl and using an electric mixer, mix well at low speed. Add flour and baking powder and mix until batter is smooth. Chill.


4 SANDWICHES: Make 4 sandwiches, putting cheese between ham and turkey. Cut into fourths and put a toothpick through each quarter.


5 Heat about 6" of oil to 340 degrees in a fryer. Dip sandwiches in batter to cover all surfaces. Deep fry sandwiches until golden brown, turning as needed. An alternate way of frying it to put approximately 1/4" oil in a large pan and fry the sandwiches on both sides until crispy and brown.


6 Remove from oil and take out toothpicks. Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil. Sprinkle sandwiches with confectioners' sugar. Serve with fruit compote and currant jelly sauce.

0 comments: